Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Week 5 — Technique not Technology






















I took my students “walking” this week ...with a video presentation and 6 activities to gradually do over three days. I worked the virtual excursion into the recreational side of the general elective we’re studying using the activities to produce a model to assist them in creating a walk of their own in their local area.

It’s a relief getting away from my own workbook/video/quiz delivery for a week as I discover it is probably better to err on the side of giving less, more targeted work that can be done in the space of a day and be followed up in my mini lessons by phone (or in the case of three students now, an individual video call via Messenger).

Note to self: don’t overwhelm them with too much material. Spread it out. What endlessly fascinates me about teaching online is the realisation that most of the principles that apply to good classroom teaching also apply here. It’s about technique and not just technology.

I’ve left the video and half the activities open for anyone to access.

https://dalepobega.blogspot.com/2020/05/week-5-term-2-virtual-excursion.html

Student work (posted with permission)

No comments:

Post a Comment